In a secure environment the hard drives are removed from the equipment (All-In-Ones, computers, laptops, network, servers, and etc.)
A HIPAA compliant 1 Tesla magnetic eraser will degauss data on the disc platter of each hard drive to prevents any data from being recovered. Physical destruction of hard drives alone leaves data behind.
This process is compliant with the government and industry standards requiring complete erasure of sensitive data prior to disposal for:
- DOD (Emergency Destruction)
- HIPAA (Health Information Portability and Accountability Act)
- IRS 1075
- California Senate Bill 1386
- GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation)
- GLBA (Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act)
- NIST SP 800-88r1
- PCI DSS 3.2 (Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard)
- PIPEDA (Personal Information Protection and Electronic
Our SOP requires the use of a NSA approved Hard Drive / Solid-State Destroyer that delivers 10+ tons of force that bends, breaks, and mangles hard drives, including data platters and other internal components, preventing data recovery.
The SOP of degaussing and physically destroying hard drives is recorded to produce a Certificate of Destruction. Our Client receives this certificate that contains the equipment used, date, time, serial numbers, and picture of the destroyed hard drives for audit purposes.
The 1 Tesla magnetically degaussed and 10+ ton mangled hard drives are recycled with a certified R2 recycler for the precious metals.